What’s not to love about grilled burgers, rounds of bags, good conversations with good people, and stellar fireworks to end the whole thing off? July 4th is always a festive time. Why not host your own party for the holiday this year if you never have before? Or if you can’t make it out to a gathering, bring the party to you with the right décor, food, and drinks!
THE DÉCOR: RED, WHITE, AND BLUE MASON JAR COLORED RICE VOTIVE CENTERPIECE
This DIY décor is very quick and easy with just some items needed:
- Pint size mason jars. You can also use vase glass jars, or any such container with a wide, accessible opening for the rice filling.
- Red and blue food coloring (To join the rice into the celebration of course!)
- 6 c. White rice
- Mixing bowls
- Votive candles
- Old worn cloth (To be used to cover your mixing surface and protect it from the unforgiving food coloring.)
- Baking Sheets
- Parchment Paper
- Separate rice into desired amounts per layer. We used 2 cups of rice for each color.
- Squirt food color into rice, you might need to use the back of the spoon to evenly distribute the food color throughout the rice. We used several drops to achieve a deep color, use more or less for the desired depth of color. Be sure to use metal or glass bowls and spoons as food color can stain some plastics.
- Spread each color of rice on baking sheets to dry (could take about 15-30 minutes depending on humidity).
- Layer in jars for desired pattern and order of colors.
- Gently settle a votive or small pillar candle in the middle of the rice.
Voila! The mason jar votive can act as a dual centerpiece by day and beautiful light show by night once you inflame the candle. Even better, it is also recyclable. Just put lids on the jars and store away for next year!
THE FOOD: 4th of July Treats in a Patriotic Jello Jar
Who doesn’t love jello! These patriotic jello jars will be an instant hit with the kids. Check out Southern Plate’s cool recipe. Pst, if you want an alternative version for the adult crowd, just drop in a bit of your favorite libations to make it an instant jello shot.
THE DRINK: RED, WHITE, & BLUE SANGRIA!
THE LIGHTS: HOW TO MAKE CITRONELLA CANDLE BUG REPELLENT LANTERNS
That’s right. You can keep away the pesky mosquitoes while still adding on great ambiance to your backyard look with this all natural solution: a DIY mason jar Citronella lantern! Sorry, no bugs to the party. So, here’s how to make mason jar citronella candle lanterns in under 10 steps. You can use a mason jar or candle jars like these: Anchor elite jars and Hurricane jars. When you are finished, hang your mason jar lantern off of any hook or hook-like fixture in your backyard. Around the patio could be a great touch as your crowd settles in for the night to watch the light show in the sky.
Now, with all of the right touches for your 4th of July backyard festive event, get out there and start hosting and grilling!