We all know that watermelon is a summer fruit staple when you want a quick and refreshingly (guilt-free!) treat. However, what about when you do want a guilty sweet bite full of sugary goodness? You can still have your watermelon, but in a different way. Here’s how to make watermelon rice krispie treats! Get your children involved in this one. It is a simple recipe that they’ll love.
RECIPE FOR WATERMELON RICE KRISPIE TREATS:
- 9 c. rice krispie cereal
- 9 c. marshmallows
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Red and green food coloring
- Chocolate chips
- Parchment paper/Baking paper
- Quality cookie or candy jars like Montana jars or Anchor Hocking glass jars. Anchor Hocking jars have a large, bright shape that will showcase your product beautifully (or tantalizingly as far as your little ones are concerned). These glass jars’ allure creates a striking and dynamic shelf appeal for home storage and window shoppers alike. Their thick side walls create added durability and stability. Their wide mouth opening create easy product access and scooping, making the jar perfect for storing flour, sugar, or cereal on the countertop or in the pantry, and for storing or showcasing craft or home décor items throughout the home.
The Montana jars have all of the same qualities as the Anchor Hocking Heritage Hill jars with the exception of their extra-large shape and snug fitting beautiful metallic lids or Acacia wood lids that create a warm inviting display appeal at home and for window shoppers alike. But the lids are also designed with a silicone ring to keep the food fresh and moisture free. Both varieties’ airtight lids make them great food storage jars. Both varieties also are made of food-grade glass, which is non-toxic, odorless, and 100% BPA free.
MAKE THE ‘RIND’:
1. Mix in a large microwave safe bowl 4 cps of marshmallows and 3 tbl of butter. Place in the microwave. Start with 1 minute and move around. If it’s still not melted then put it in for another 30 seconds. The marshmallow will get puffy. Then add your green food coloring.
2. Now add in 4 cps of rice krispies to the green marshmallow mix.
3. Place this green mix around the greased pan making sure that it’s thinner than the red center.
MAKE THE ‘WATERMELON’ RED CENTER:
1. I found strawberry flavored rice cereal so I didn’t have to use red food coloring but if you don’t have that what you’ll need to do is add red food coloring at the end.
2. In a large microwave safe bowl, place the rest of the marshmallows and butter in a bowl. Do as mentioned above in step 1 but this time add red food coloring.
2. Now add in 5 cps of rice krispies to the red marshmallow mix.
3. Place the red mix in the middle of the greased pan to create the meat of the watermelon.
MAKE THE ‘SEEDS’:
Now add chocolate morsels on top of the red for the seeds.
Place parchment paper inside of your cookie jars and carefully set the watermelon rice krispies inside. Seal the anchor hocking jars or other candy jar of choice with its lid to keep in the freshness until you are ready to eat (which won’t be long).
Finished! You now know how to make watermelon shaped rice krispie treats.